Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sightseeing Today

And then there is Julie and her 21 year-old daughter, Natasha. Julie offered to take some of us on a sightseeing tour around the island today. Ralph and I were the only ones available to take her up on her generous offer. What a great time we had!! This lady is one of the most hospitable people I have ever met....and her daughter was a complete joy to hang out with. She is incredibly creative with a camera in her hands....so I asked her to be my "official photographer" for the day. I'll have to post a picture or two once I get them from her. All the way from the The Parish of Christ Church (which is where our house is located) on to The Parishes of St. George, St. Michael, Thomas, James, Peter, Andrew, Joseph and John....(did we see St. Lucy too?? I can't remember) dropping back down into the middle of the city, skipping St. Philip, back to where we started. Wow! What an adventure! At one point we saw the rocky mountains of Barbados literally contrasted right across the bumpy road to the gorgeous, turquoise ocean. I've never seen anything like it. We passed Chattal houses one right after another, Rum houses, churches of various denominations as well as black-bellied sheep grazing for their lunch. We stopped off at a privately owned beach house to "freshen up" and enjoyed the beautiful view of a private beach on the other side of a white picket fence. The varieties of sights were overwhelming to my senses. It was a great day of getting to know two of the people who make this their home.

That is the thing that is standing out to me: relationships happening. We came here for one main reason; to enter into relationship with these beautiful people and allow God to show us where He is at work. Believe me when I tell you, He is alive and well....and pursues all of us regardless of race, background, denomination or job title. "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:28) The unity and freedom and FUN that we have in Christ transcends all denomination lines, all racial lines and miles of distance. Is this an incredible family to be a part of or what??

Cynthia

1 comment: